BACK-to-SCHOOL ‘HEALTHY’ BACKPACK TIPS for KIDS | Community Spirit
Advantage Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, LLC of Gainesville and Manassas Va. offers safety tips for kids’ carrying school backpacks to avoid strains and injury. For more information, go contact 703-753-1005 or visit www.aptronline.com.
“Many students and parents are inclined to overload their backpacks with books, lunches and jackets,” said Lisa Kerrigan, physical therapist and president of Advantage Physical Therapy in Gainesville and Manassas, Va. “Over time, children who carry excessive heavy loads can experience issues with back strain, posture and injury,” said Aram.
Advantage Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, LLC suggests top 10 tips when choosing a student’s backpack:
- A backpack should weigh no more than about 15 percent of student’s body weight.
- Load the heaviest items closest to the child’s back.
- Arrange books and materials so they won’t slide around inside the backpack.
- Carry only items that are necessary for that day.
- Consider using a backpack on wheels.
- Use both backpack straps, preferably with well-padded shoulder straps.
- Adjust the shoulder straps so that the pack fits snugly on the child’s back.
- Wear the waist belt if the backpack has one. This helps distribute the pack’s weight
- The bottom of the pack should rest in the curve of the lower back.
- School backpacks come in different sizes for different ages. Choose the right size pack for your child’s back.
With Advantage Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation’s (APTR) one-on-one treatment philosophy, therapists treat one patient at a time, rather than juggling several to maximize productivity. APTR therapists are highly trained with doctorate and master degrees, ensuring patients receive the most advanced therapeutic treatments and clinical care. APTR is open Monday through Thursday, 8a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
ABOUT ADVANTAGE PHYSICAL THERAPY and REHABILITATION, LLC
Founded in 2006, Advantage Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation (APTR), LLC of Gainesville and Manassas, Va. is noted for its hands-on therapy techniques, one-on-one personalized care and dedicated community service. Serving the western Prince William County and Manassas, Va. areas, APTR was voted Best Physical Therapy office by readers of Haymarket Lifestyle Magazine. APTR serves on the board of directors for the Prince William Chamber of Commerce, earning the Business of the Year award and Gold Star award. The organization is also on the board of regents for Leadership Prince William, as well as active with the Haymarket-Gainesville Business Association, Gainesville-Haymarket Rotary Club, Friends of SERVE and the Manassas Symphony Orchestra. It advocates for local charities, like Transitional Housing BARN, Inc., SERVE Inc., and Bristow, Va., Tri and Swim competitions as well. Advantage Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, LLC accepts most insurance plans and is open Monday through Saturday. For more information, visit them at 9161 Liberia Avenue, Suite 205 in Manassas, Va. or 7560 Gardner Park Drive in Gainesville, Va., call 703-753-1005 or visit www.aptronline.com, Facebook or Twitter.